Monday, June 13, 2011

To Europe and Back

Clay and I got home from Europe a few weeks ago! A dream of mine became reality and it was just as magical as I expected. I feel like I have new insights and have grown as a person by traveling and taking in other cultures. I can only imaging what one might feel like after a life of traveling. I want that to be me.

Paris was deemed our favorite spot. We had a lovely little apartment to stay in above a restaurant on a quaint street in the shopping district. We loved it. We loved the food, the people, the shopping, the style, the buidlings. It was so magical. After our visit we tried to think of all the possible ways we could live in France for a few years.
Barcelona was amazing as well. It was beachy and the gothic architecture was inspiring, not to mention the Gaudi influence all over the city and the rich history. We got to experience staying in a hostel. It was really cheap and a really great experience. Ya, we didn't get great sleep, but we met some amazing people and learned a great deal about the European countries. We met Simone from Holland - it was funny to hear how excited she was to visit america one day and see the drive through pharmecies...
America really is a great place to live, we lack a bit of culture and a 1000 year history but we have a lot of opportunities and we have an ambitious spirit about us that makes us strive to acheive greatness. I think we need a good mix between our societies though, Europe has a way of enjoying life, they sit at restuarants with their friends and families for hours just talking and enjoying life. It seems like we are so busy and rushed that fun things even become items to check off our lists. Ireland was beautiful. It was so fun to see Mandy and Bryan and to get to know the two of them a little bit better. They were amazing hosts, taking us around Ireland and showing us the sights, and introducing us to their favorite eating spots. We loved the rolling green hills and the blue ocean, the gardens and all the sheep! My one compaint...it was cold and rainy. And I guess that you have to pay a price for all that green beauty. Europe treated me with my most embarassing moment of all time. In Paris, near the catacombs, I ran accross the street to use one of those restrooms that look kind of like porta potties. I had heard that they cost a Euro to use. I found a Euro and was holding it in my hand as I looked around for a coin slot. With no luck I pushed the red button that would open the door, once inside I still could not find a coin slot so I hit the button that said close door. I just assumed that maybe this one was free? Not long into my restroom experience I heard a loud alarm go off and the door of the bathroom began to slide open revealing the world outside. To my suprise the toilet began folding up into the wall. Siren still blazing and about 15 people waiting to cross the street staring at me, I began to frantically try and pull my pants up and get out of there. Of course it seemed like minutes for me to get myself together and make a getaway. One man with a smile on his face stared and just shook his head. Embarassing!!!!
For more Europe photos we have an entire album on facebook or you can check out the design posts on Opal Never Shouts under Inspiration Abroad.

1 comment:

the pretend blog said...

Love the great Goolagong experience... Thanks for sharing.